Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Low Moral Character

I sat in my bosses place today for the General Managers meeting of the IT division. Our CIO always has some whoppers, at least at this one, and the last one I attended in my bosses place. At that one, he said that employees who were five minutes early leaving for lunch should be fired, for having low morals. He has, it should be noted, also unilaterally decided that flex time doesn't apply to IT, (who is he kidding? IT is who flex time was meant for!) and that those who used it at their own discretion should also be fired.
Today it was concerning working from home. The discussion was around encrypting employee PCs, and he brought up the example of an employee who worked from home and (shame!) dared to declare it on his time sheet. He used the phrase 'low moral character,' for that behavior. Telecommuting, it should be noted, is a behavior that our company is attempting to encourage in our customers. As my direct boss always says, we need to eat our own dog food.
I should note that I occasionally take off early for lunch--it is the only way to get a seat in either of the decent restaurants in our building--and I have, twice in the last 2 1/2 years, worked from home and declared it on my timesheet. I and my boss agreed that my starting time would be 10 at latest, because dealing with Europe leaves a very narrow window if I worked 9 to 6, the 'moral' work hours. The fact that I commute 1 1/2 hours each way every day, and often work on the train notwithstanding, it seems odd as a manager, who doesn't get paid overtime, that I would even think about needing to justify my working hours. I always put in an 8+ hour day at the office, generally logging between 9 and 10 hours, and on a project sometimes as many as 18 hours, for several weeks at a time.
I bit my tongue at the comment, but this sort of BS thinking does wear one down. I generally like and respect the CIO, but in some ways he is bass ackwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home